ACTIVITIES ON THE FARM AND SURROUNDING AREA
There are many good walks from the doorstep. The Farmhouse information folder gives good examples. There are plenty of woods close by including Huntly, Blackmuir, Hallyburton, Birkhill Estate, Tentsmuir, Dronley and Balkello woods. For Beach walks we head to Tentsmuir, The West Sands at St Andrews, Broughty Ferry Beach and further away but worth the drive Lunan Bay (cafe next to the car park), nr Inverkeillor. There are also may country parks nearby to walk in, Camperdown Park, Riverside Nature Park, Crombie Country Park and Monikie Country Park. We are not far from the Angus Glens with their stunning Loch and Hill scenery. The Hermitage at Dunkeld is a beautiful walk and there are some good pubs and places to eat in Dunkeld. If you are up that way you could make a visit to Loch of the Lowes Visitor Centre to see The Ospreys and other Wildlife.
We have bike storage at the Farmhouse. There are some good routes around our area in The Case of Gowrie, The Salmon run from Invergowrie to Errol being one of them with pleasant views and plenty of wildlife. There is also a good route from Longforgan, our local village to Kinfauns with many more scenic routes in the area. For more details look at cycle-route.com and search Perth and Kinross, Angus and Fife. Only a few miles away we have Templeton woods which has a mountain bike skills trail and there are bits and pieces of natural trail within 30 miles of Dundee – the Sidlaws, Kinnoull Hill and Pitmedden are good examples. Tentsmuir is also good for family cycling. There is a lot of information online and in the Farmhouse if you want to plan some cycling.
Watersports/fishing – There is a huge selection in Perthshire, Angus and Tayside. For watersports watersporty.co.uk is very helpful – Search Angus, Perthshire and Fife.
- Foxlake Dundee – Wakeboarding, ringo rides and paddle boarding in Dundee
- Piperdam – fly fishing, orbs, water wakers, canoeing
- Willowgate activity centre, Perth – fly fishing, paddlepoarding, canoeing and a host of other activities
- Nae Limits, Ballinluig, Perthshire – whitewater rafting, canyoning and lots of other activities
In the Summer months, crop permitting, guests that have booked Carmichael Farmhouse for a full week may have a chance to try picking strawberries or raspberries in tunnels. This is only available during week day afternoons after farm picking has finished. This cannot be guaranteed as it depends on the crop and other farm activities. If you are interested in picking please ask for information on arrival.
There is a good choice of golf courses nearby and 3 championship courses, all within an hours drive, St Andrews, Carnoustie and Gleneagles. We are not serious golfers but have enjoyed family golf at Piperdam Golf Course. They have also got a putting green and driving range.
For more information on golf refer to Scotland golf website.
OTHER ACTIVITIES NEAR TO CARMICHAEL FARMHOUSE
For activities close by try:
- Clay pigeon shooting at Auchterhouse Country Sports
- Quad bikes – Piperdam or Highland offroad at Dunkeld
- Tank Driving – Auchterhouse Country Sports (also now have paintball, archery and segways)
- Horse riding – Here is a selection of places you can contact to arrange horse riding. We have not used any of them personally but they have been recommended – Muirhead stables, Kinshaldy stables at Tentsmuir, Rowanlea at Carnoustie
- Boat trips – Pirate boat Ltd from Broughty Ferry harbour – fantastic trips on the Tay and dolphin watching
- Isle of May boat trips – spot seals, puffins, dolphins. From Anstruther harbour, under an hour. 30 miles away.
- Mackerel Fishing – Kids had a go at this and loved it. Caught a boat from Arbroath Harbour, caught mackerel and cooked for their tea. For more info go to Arbroath Angling. We are only 30 minutes from Arbroath.
- Farms with play areas that families enjoy – Cairnie Fruit farm, Active Kids, Muddy Boots and East Scryne Fruit Farm by Carnoustie – Run by my sister-in-law. Small but delicious coffee, bakes and ice cream and close to East Haven Beach so could combine a trip to the beach! Only open in summer time.
FINALLY IF IT SNOWS…
If you are lucky enough to get snow, we have hills! We can supply sledges on request.
Glenshee – Only an hours drive from Glenshee ski centre
INDOOR AND RAINY DAY ACTIVITIES (JUST IN CASE!)
At Carmichael Farmhouse and cost nothing:
- Family ping pong in The Old Stable at the Farmhouse
- Create a family masterpiece on the giant chalkboards in The Old Stable
- Board games or cards in front of the woodburning stove – Phuket and cards are family favourites of ours and you will find both in the Farmhouse.
- Walking, games or nature hunt in the woods nearby Carmichael Farmhouse – you hardly notice under the cover of trees and it costs nothing. Huntly woods are only a few minutes walk away.
Close by to the Farmhouse:
- Skating at Dundee Ice Rink
- Fun Factory Dundee
- Combat city Dundee
- Olympia swimming pool – has flumes, wave machine and whirlpool. Perth also has a good family swimming pool
- Cineworld Dundee – also Odeon Dundee and the DCA on Perth Road, Dundee
- Racing each other at Scotkart which has also opened a laser tag area – best to book.
- Skatepark Dundee where you can hire scooters or boards if you do not have your own.
- Battlefield live Dundee – Best to book
- Sensations – Dundee Science Centre
- Noah’s Ark in Perth – indoor soft play, indoor karting
- Avertical World – indoor climbing, Dundee
- Piperdam – large indoor area with zorbs, karting. Also has swimming pool.
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
Some lovely comments from a recent visitor:
Just spent a very relaxing weekend in the absolute luxury of Carmichael Farmhouse. It has been beautifully and tastefully decorated with every detail attended to; the very best showers, cooking facilities, beds/bedding, entertainment and countryside views…and the most luxurious dog quarters I’ve ever seen!
To read more click here: Visitor reviews
OUR INSTAGRAM PHOTOS
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Tel: 01382 360318
Member of the Association of Scottish Self Caterers
and Visit Scotland