There are many local cafes and restaurants to enjoy. Here is a small selection of ones we have enjoyed:
- Tea and Cake, Dundee – vintage café and bakeshop, love the homemade coconut bread toasted!
- The Parlour Café – great coffee, lunches and bakes, popular with students and locals
- The Flame Tree café – very friendly staff, great lunches, coffee, smoothies
- Pacamara – great coffee and lunches on the Perth Road
- Taypark Hotel, Dundee – good lunches and afternoon teas, have not eaten here in the evening.
- Botanic Gardens café – worth a visit if at the gardens
- The Beer Kitchen, Dundee – good atmosphere, good food, very helpful staff
- Dilse, Dundee – good curry, delivers to Carmichael Farm or pleasant to sit in
- Gallery 48, Dundee – Authentic tapas bar
- The Butterfly cafe – playroom for kids and toys
FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION
- Castlehill, Dundee – Excellent restaurant for special occasions, fine dining
- The Newport, Newport– Fine dining for special occasion. We had a fantastic 8 course taster menu. Sit upstairs for best atmosphere. Lovely views over the Tay.
- Cafe Montmartre – Small French Restaurant, delicious food, good atmosphere
FISH AND CHIPS
- Inchture Pub, Inchture – good pub food and atmosphere
- The Tufted Duck – home cooked lunches and afternoon teas served in the Cart Shed at Rait Antiques
- Scottish Antique Centre – good lunches and teas
- Glendoick Garden Centre – Self service café, family friendly
- Piperdam Leisure Resort – Good restaurant and bar, family friendly, play area
We also eat out in Perth as a family and would recommend:
- Gloagburn Farm Shop – Just outside Perth but really worth a visit. Great food and shop.
- Breizh, Perth – great pizzas, family friendly
- Pacos – Family friendly, good food, good deli attached
- Duo Pizza – Cosy and good food
- The Black Watch Castle Museum Cafe – beautiful cafe, great lunches
- Reids – lovely family café, great for lunches and tea
- Kisas – family friendly restaurant
- Willowgate fisheries cafe – family friendly, dog friendly, outside Perth.
- You can get your groceries delivered direct to the Farmhouse on the day of your arrival. Request a delivery slot after 4pm if possible as this is entry time…the address is Old Carmichaels Farmhouse (at steading), Carmichael Farm, Longforgan, Dundee, DD2 5HW
- Longforgan village shop and Post Office is less than a mile away. Wilma and Sandy have all the essentials.
- Carmichael Farm Berry Shop – Seasonal. Usually open on the farm July to August.
- Grewars farm shop – well stocked farm shop at Muirhead, not far from us with a good selection of Scottish local produce.
- Many supermarkets within 2 miles.
- BP garage on A90 – M&S and all night garage for fuel
WHAT DO WE NEED TO BRING?
- Groceries. There is a small starter pack provided on arrival (coffee, tea,sugar, eggs, rolls, cake or biscuits, soft fruit if in season or jam, butter, milk). There are some variations depending on the time of year ie Easter, Christmas, New Year etc
- Condiments for cooking – herbs, salt, pepper, oil
- Extra toilet rolls, kitchen roll, bin bags, dishwasher tabs (there is enough to get you started ie toilet paper in every toilet, spare binbag, few dishwasher tabs, kitchen roll)
- Washing powder
- Swimming towels
- Toiletries, cotton wool, makeup wipes
- Wellies and waterproofs
- Cot bedding if required
- Dog bedding, leads, dog food (beds can be provided) if required
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. What time can we arrive?
Arrival time is 4pm. Can be earlier if pre arranged with Nicola and no guests are in the day before.
Q. What is the departure time?
Departure time is 10am. If there are guests coming in the same day it is important that you depart on time as it takes us the whole day to prepare the Farmhouse. A later departure can be pre-arranged with Nicola if no one is coming into the property and there is no maintenance to be done ie painting etc
Q.Where do we collect the key from?
There will usually be someone there to meet you at the Farmhouse on arrival. If no one can be there we will make arrangements for you to be able to pick up the key.
Q.Where do we park?
You can park up to 4 cars at the Farmhouse in the private car park. Cars may not be parked on the farm. We do not cater for camper van or motorhome parking.
Q.Where do we leave the key on departure?
The key can be handed into the farm office or instructions for departure will be in the Farmhouse.
Q.How far is it to the closest hospital?
The closest hospital is Ninewells, Dundee and is about 5 miles away by car.
The closest shop is Longforgan Village Shop and Post Office, less than a mile away and has all the essentials.
Q.Are there recycling facilities?
Yes expect to recycle while you are on holiday. We have 3 bins, 1 for general, 1 for recycling (except glass) and 1 for glass. There are detailed instructions in the holiday let. The Council empties the bins once per fortnight so large amounts of extra glass and rubbish must be recycled by yourselves and not left next to the bins.There is a recycling centre at Riverside drive and at Tesco Riverside if you have large amounts of recycling. There is an extra charge for removal of glass and rubbish left outside the bins or in The Farmhouse.
Q.Can we bring dogs?
Yes we are very dog friendly, dog room in farmhouse and dog run outside and allow up to 3 well behaved dogs. They must be added at the of booking. There is an extra charge for dogs.
Q.What is included in price?
Bed linen and bath towel and hand towel for each person, Vat, electricity kindling, logs and firelighters for stove, starter pack, BBQ, Sky TV Multiroom, WIFI. Cot and highchairs, sofa bed linen, extra child and dogs cost extra.
Q.When do I receive directions to the property?
You will receive a booking confirmation when the deposit is paid, and a second confirmation along with directions to the Farmhouse and instructions for key collection when the holiday is paid in full.
Q.Do you offer short breaks?
Yes we offer short breaks, usually outside of high season but last minute during high season. Short breaks can be 3 nights (75% of full weekly rental) 4 nights (80% of full weekly rental). They generally start on Fridays or Mondays but variations do occur.
Q.Can extra people stay over in the Farmhouse with us?
The maximum occupancy is 8 adults plus 2 children can stay on the sofa bed. Sofa bed linen must be added at time of booking. All people and dogs staying in the Farmhouse must be listed on the booking form. We do not cater for large parties as yet and we do not allow extra people staying in tents in the garden or motorhomes in car park. In special circumstances we have allowed 2 extra children (They must sleep in beds provided, no blow up mattresses). This must be agreed in advance by Nicola and confirmed in writing. (There would be an extra cost per child if agreed).
Q.Can we have a party and invite extra people?
Sorry we do not cater for parties at present.
Q.If we are staying longer than one week will you change linen after a week?
Yes we can change your linen and provide clean towels after one week.
Q.What do we do if we damage anything?
Please notify Nicola as soon as possible if you damage something so that it can be replaced or repaired in time for the next guests. Depending on what it is and the extent, it may be charged for.
Q. When do we get our security deposit returned?
The Security deposit will be returned after property is cleaned and inspected and in full if there is no damage to the property or extra rubbish removal.
Q. What happens if I experience an issue during my stay?
We of course hope your stay is an enjoyable one. However if any issues arise or you have cause for complaint, please advise us immediately. We have a maintenance team and a list of contractors who are on call to resolve any issues as soon as we are made aware of them. Regrettably it is unlikely that complaints can be investigated and therefore accepted once you have departed, we hope you understand.
Q. Do you have any ‘house rules’ we should know of?!
Yes we do – they are also left in a folder on the coffee table in The Farmhouse and we have some notices on the wall. So that future guests can enjoy it too, we ask that you kindly refer to the information folder and notices while you are staying. We really appreciate your compliance!
We hope that you enjoy your stay with Carmichael Farmhouse and that you find the property as you would expect.
WHAT OUR GUESTS SAY
Some lovely comments from a recent visitor:
Just spent a very relaxing weekend in the absolute luxury of Carmichael Farmhouse. It has been beautifully and tastefully decorated with every detail attended to; the very best showers, cooking facilities, beds/bedding, entertainment and countryside views…and the most luxurious dog quarters I’ve ever seen!
To read more click here: Visitor reviews
OUR INSTAGRAM PHOTOS
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK
Tel: 01382 360318
Member of the Association of Scottish Self Caterers
and Visit Scotland